Thursday, July 5, 2007

A little potty talk...

So, I need help. I don't understand why it is so hard to learn how to go potty in the toilet. I mean, does anyone seriously like the feeling of poo or pee in their pants and why is that such a hard concept to grasp. I started trying to potty train Carter a week ago last Wednesday and have thus far been unsuccessful. I mean he pees in the toilet, but still fails to mention the fact that he has to go pee...or poo...until it has already soaked his pants, run down his leg, and soaked into the carpet (oh how our landlord would love to read that...whoops). For some reason I am more stressed and bothered by this than Carter. Poo and pee is all I am thinking about...it's been 15 minutes, should I take him to the bathroom again, no I should wait, but what if it's too late, what do I do, why isn't he telling me...oh shoot, I was supposed to feed Mason 2 hours ago and that's why he's getting a little testy! Once again, my sweetest boy takes a side seat to life and I forget to take care of him. Potty training is all consuming!!! I can't think or do anything, but potty training. I feel powerless and Carter is so sick of it. He keeps telling me to stop talking to him and that he doesn't want to sit on the potty anymore (probably because our conversations are soley questions of whether or not he is dry and should we go sit on the potty). We also have to be home most of the time which is getting really old. Oh man...I have to go take him to the potty again...I just wanted to get this off my chest, though I have more...I'll be back.

4 comments:

whitney said...

don't give up! i really have no idea what you are experiencing... yet, but you don't want to mess up what you've already spent so much time doing. i'm seriously really sorry, though. that really sucks. now i'm terrified to potty-train joel.

Jackie said...

I say you leave diapers on him until the second grade. The embarrassement will get him interested in toilets in no time.

But then again, you'd be changing a 7 year old's diaper, and that would be a doozy. Maybe you should stick with this whole potty training thing instead.

Anonymous said...

Just a suggestion from someone who has potty trained twice. Just leave him totally naked for three to five days this helps tons. Helps to also not go anywhere like you are doing now. Diaper if he takes a nap. As soon as he wakes up in the morning, the diaper comes off. It works really well. The poop things still takes a while and will have some accidents but usually not pee. And then a diaper at night for a while. Hope this helps.

Melanie and Will said...

Hi Kadi, not even sure if you know me or not, but hey it's a blog world right? ( you dated my hubby William). Anyway, we recently just potty trained our 3 yr old. And I can honestly say it was easy. ONLY because we didn't ever push before. Everyone told me that they would do it when they were ready. Last year after having another baby who is very difficult, I decided potty training was out the window til who knows when. Well shortly after Jaden turned 3 we decided to give it a try. Guess what? He was completely potty trained in 2 weeks, no pull up, nada. Dry at night even. It was proof that his little body and mind was ready. And for him, he got the poop thing down pat way before the pee thing. Every kid is different. I so would have like to have had him potty trained waaaay before then, but for my sanity it wasn't gonna happen.
Hang in there. If he doesn't seem interested I would say hold off a while and try again later. Just my two cents. GOod luck!!!